Credit Source: Unsplash
Have you been continuously observing the green and yellow spots in the house? Sometimes people say you have a mold problem, and sometimes it’s mildew. So, what are these mold and mildew? This article will tell you what they are and how they are different. Also, we’ll tell you how you can remove them. So, let’s start!
What Are Mold And Mildew?
You mostly read mold and mildew together. These are fungi that grow in humid or less airy places. They are of different colors and types and can spread drastically if left untreated. Their every type cause health issues so, remove them as soon as you spot anyone.
The wet and humid places are their favorite residence, but they also occupy areas with less traffic. Mostly you will find them in bathrooms, under the sinks, kitchen, or near dishwashers. But they also grow under the carpet or crawl spaces.
When a spore of this fungus land on any surface, it requires basic things like food, water, and oxygen. If the place is humid enough, it will fulfill the water and oxygen requirements. And the surface will provide the food, or it will take it from the air.
How Are They Different?
Although they are usually said together, mildew is the subcategory of mold. Mold is a broad and strong type of fungus, while mildew is a lighter type of mold. Here are some other differences between these pesky intruders:
Your problem is almost solved here, as they differ in their appearances. The mold is fuzzy and slimy in texture. It is sometimes green or red, but the most common type is black. People often confuse it with dirt during the initial phase.
On the other hand, the mildew is powdery and appears in small spots. It looks flat and is either white or grey. But if you don’t clean the spot, it will turn brown. Also, the mildew is dry in appearance, but it feels moist.
You can spot each separately because the former is darker in color while the latter is lighter. But another significant factor is the smell. The mold has a stronger and more pungent smell than the mildew.
The mildew looks flat because it grows on the surface. If you clean the surface, it will solve your problem. But the mold goes inside the object and is rather complicated to remove. Although both grow on the materials like wood or leather, mildew does less damage.
Then the humidity level also plays an important role. The mildew requires 62-93% humid air to grow and reproduce at 77-88°F. In comparison, the mold is more likely to grow as it requires only 55% moisture and 60-80°F to mark its territory. These are suitable living conditions for humans.
Any of their types are not good for your health. Although the issues vary on the types, you will get diseases from both. The mildew only causes minor respiratory problems or headaches. You may also get frequent coughs, but it can affect asthma patients severely.
On the contrary, mold causes major health issues even to normal people. It shares the complications of mildew but also causes eyes and skin irritations. You may experience mood swings, depression, headaches, or pain in various parts. It is because breathing air in the presence of mold affects your nervous system. The major problems include respiratory disorders, congestion, and sometimes memory loss.
Their cleaning method is also different and varies from type to type. As mildew is on the surface, you can remove it easily. A simple detergent and scrubbing brush will do the job. But removing mold is rather complicated.
You first need to identify the type as there are 100,000 types of mold. Worry not as only a few affect the homes, and mostly clean out with similar methods. If you identify the stain as this stubborn fungus, grab bleach or a great cleaner. However, if it is a specific one (Stachybotrys Chartarum), it is better to hire a professional.
How To Remove Them? (Our Recommended Cleaner)
Credit Source: KennedyKitchensAndBaths
So, you can now distinguish between mold and mildew; let’s move on to clean them. You will need a microfiber cloth or rag and K.O.R Rarefier Cleaner. The product has made cleaning any fungus pretty easy. Follow the steps:
- Spray the K.O.R Rarefier Cleaner on the affected area.
- Swipe a clean rug or microfiber cloth to clean the fungus. Try to avoid the streaks.
- Voila! You get rid of the annoying mark.
The K.O.R Rarefier Cleaner is prepared with alkaline and removes mold and mildew at normal temperature, so it is always ready to use. It eradicates any biological residue without damaging the surface. You can clean the mold or mildew from both indoor and outdoor surfaces.
Unlike other harsh cleaner liquids, Rarefier Cleaner is safe to use. You don’t need rubber gloves, goggles, masks, aprons, shields, armor, and all the protective gears. Just spray and swipe. It is environmental-friendly and doesn’t cause any irritation to the skin.
Mold and mildew are usually mentioned together, so it is easy to get confused. But both are different in appearance, smell, and location. Both are bad for health in different ways and require distinct cleaning procedures. However, we have recommended you K.O.R Rarefier Cleaner to eliminate both in seconds. So, don’t let any of them disturb you again.